Thursday, October 11, 2012

When they solve problems creatively

I love seeing their creative minds at work, problem-solving.
I wish I could give them extra credit points for cleverness.


"Mom, will you jump on the trampoline with us?"
"No, dear, Mom needs some quiet time now."
"But if you jump on the trampoline with us, we will be quiet! And we can listen to the birds sing, too!"   

Quiet time?
-----
The kids were climbing on the chairs one day pretending there were crocodiles in the carpet, and I heard one yell, "OH NO! A crocodile ate both of my feet!" 
Not to worry though, she simply climbed to another chair and said, "I'll be right back, I have to go to the store to get some more feet!"
-----
 As I am helping him with his PJ shirt, I say, "Please pick up your dirty clothes and put them where they belong." 
He replies, "Mommy, you got them out, you get to put them away."
-----
"Eat your oranges. Your body needs vitamin C to fight germs."
"But mom, I ate a bullet today."
"Sorry kid, you still have to eat your oranges." 
-----

A scowling little boy stares at his plate. Salad. THEN the cookies. Sweet, wonderful, chocolate chip cookies. Waiting for him. Right there, in reach, just waiting for him to climb that very last hurdle before he tastes sweet victory.

But first, salad. Laying there in all its ugly greenness. 

He scowls deep.

Suddenly, an idea. 
“I’m saving the best for last mommy! Grammy says you should always save the best for last!”
“That’s right. Now is your salad gone?”
“No, mommy, salad is my best! So I’m going to eat my cookies first and save my BEST salad for last!”

An older sibling who believes in objective truth snorts and says, “COOKIES are better than salad. Salad is NOT the best.”

“Salad is my best mommy! I just really really want to save the best for last!”
Laughing hard I tell him no, but I wish I could give him points for cleverness!



-----
Have you heard your child creatively solve a problem lately?
Share your joy with me in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. One of my 3yo's latest:

    "M, don't climb up the slide"
    "But I like to go up that way."
    "No. I don't want to see you climb up the slide."
    "Turn your head then."

    It's hard to argue with their logic, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Problem solved :)

      Makes you think twice next time you want to say "I don't want to see you..."

      Or, in my case... "IF I catch you...."
      Because one asked... But mom, what if you DONT' catch me?

      Delete


Web Analytics