Thursday, October 25, 2012

When they correct each other's grammar

This means they are learning the language, and they actually care about using words in the right way.

I delight in their nerdiness.
-----
Mommy, look at that sign! It says "Bed Bath & Beyond. Why didn't they put the commas in?  That's dumb."
-----
"Why is it called Dollar TREE? It's NOT a tree, it's a store."
-----
They even modify songs so they make more sense:
Once my little girl sang, 
"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... then it will poke your eye out..."
-----

Of course, they don't always get it right.


"There ain't no drinks!" yelled Seth.
Big sister put her hands on her hips and said sternly, "No... it's there ain't ANY drinks! Wait, no….”

-----

At church one night, my son opened up the bulletin, pointed to “AMEN” and asked what that said.  
“Ah-men.” I told him, quickly, as service was starting.  
“But mommy, O says Ah, not A.”  
“Fine then,” I said, “Say Amen, not Ah-men.  Sometimes A says its name, like Amy.” 
“Yeah, like Amy! Amen!”  He stared at the word, and I forgot about our conversation, at least until we got to that part in the service, and the congregation sang “Ah-men.”  
“MOMMY!” He tugged at my sleeve, “O says Ah, not A!!!”  
I sighed, “Honey, I'm sorry, we will talk about it at home ok?”  
I was afraid he was going to stand up and give the whole church a phonics lesson!



Does your child pay attention to grammar?
Have you ever been stopped in the middle of a lecture for a grammar lesson? That is not funny.

Share today's joy with me in the comments!












1 comment:

  1. It's great that your daughter knows a song like "That's Amore." :D

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics