Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Read, Pray, and Hug Before You Click

In the summer:
Kids get themselves up sometime before seven, big kids put on TV, and they loaf around in PJs.  I get up when I'm ready (or when the baby is stinky and hollerin' beside my bed.)  I make coffee, check email, and ease into the morning. I make breakfast for them when I am good n' ready.

Ahhhh.

During the school year:
I get up when they do (I know, some people say you should get up earlier than your kids, but they always hear the coffeepot, so what's the point?)  We jump out of bed and into our shoes. We plow through our morning jobs, and we get everyone together in time for school.
They talk and fight over the cereal box and I pester them to eat two more bites.  We hunt for the hairbrush and I check my email real quick while they are chewing.  I change the baby and pack the snacks and shoo them out the door because they're almost late.

And they leave, dressed and fed, but what have we forgotten? Did we hug? Did we pray? Did I look in their eyes or say a kind word to them?

I don't know. We probably forgot. I probably got sidetracked.
I could say I am too task-oriented.
I could also say I am too me-oriented.

Both things are true.  The way I gravitate towards my internet fix in the morning is just another symptom of me putting me first.

I don't want to send them to school with empty stomachs.
They need food.
They need mommy-love.
They need the Word of God.




Read the Bible- for me and for the children.
(Alternatively, let the Ipod do the reading while we eat.)

Pray- for myself and with the children.
We say Luther's Morning Prayer on the porch before they leave.

Hug- Greet the kids with affection when you first see them in the morning and before they leave for the day. Look into their eyes and speak kind words.


I have again given the kids permission to hold me accountable here. (Aggie loves her other nagging license. If you need someone to hold you accountable, just ask Aggie.)

No clicking until these things are done, and no clicking until the big kids are gone to school.
I want my children to grow up thinking this is normal:

It's normal for mom to listen to me.
It's normal for me to work in the morning.
It's normal for me to pray with my mom and dad every day.
It's normal to be loved and hugged.
It's normal to hear God's Word every day.

May God be with us in this new normal,and grow us in love for Him and each other.

Luther’s Morning  Prayer
I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, your dear Son, that you have kept me this
night from all harm and danger. Keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my
doings and life may please you. Into your hands I commend my body and soul and all things. Let
your holy angel be with me, that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Do you get distracted by technology or other things in the morning?
What do you want your  "normal" morning to look like?

17 comments:

  1. Oh Emily, I love this prayer! I have a similar one that I start the day with, but I don't know the origin...
    Lord God Almighty and Everlasting Father you have brought me in safety to this new day. Preserve me with your mighty power that I may not fall into sin or be overcome by iniquity, but in all your ways direct me the fulfilling of your purpose, through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious pic of your girl. Wonderful blessing to send our kids out with the word of God over them. :- )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! I love your "normal"! :) I notice clicking isn't anywhere in there! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the mandate - no technology in the morning. I totally think I can resist checking my blog until they are in school!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and loving post. Emily, I just love your heart: as a mom and as a child of God!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect ideas for the start of the day. I learned last year not to touch the computer until the kids were out the door. I found myself getting short tempered with them and impatient with their needs b/c they would interrupt me! How dare they do that just because they needed a lunch made, or help finding shoes, or were having trouble with the zipper on their backpack! (Hope you caught the sarcasm!) When I realized the flaw in MY routine, OUR routine changed for the better...thank GOD!

    And I love Luther's prayers. Both are so great to use with kids.

    Here's to a great start to the school year, for us and for our kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that was a great read. Love the prayer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the list of normal! While it is summer and the kids are home and I head off for work, baby girl (not really a baby, but I like to think so! ahha) will ask me when I get home, "even though I was sleeping, did you hug me before you left for work?" It's the sweetest thing. :)

    As always, great post dear!

    Falen

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a great example for all moms :)
    Found you via In the Word Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! More parents should be that way - having a "normal" day can make a huge difference in life! new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this! I get up before my kiddos, get my devos done and start my blog time, but more often than not it is not done before they get up. I need to learn to turn it off just before they get up and then not on again until they go to bed. It will mean late nights for me, but I believe it will be worth it in the end! Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm over from Simply Helping Him link up. Thank you for posting. My daughter is two, so we recite standard prayers at dinner. I love this one and will be adding it to our list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great reminder for when my little one is abit older. She is 1 month old now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love this. I know we've 'talked" about that technology "need"...I've been struggling with it a bit more lately.
    I usually get my hubby all set for work with lunch, breakfast, etc., feed all our needy pets, and then sit back with coffee and my blog until J wakes up. I snap it shut now soon as he's ready. I've been pulled lately to become a phone checker for messages again during the day, praying and trying to get more disciplined again.
    (yet this is different on a weekend, when we *try* to sleep in and the laptop barely comes out if it all during the day...
    You blogging about your continual jounrey w/this hands free mama approach is a good idea. I might need to do the same to keep myself more on track--doesn't that seem odd-to use tech to keep tech away....
    I'm going to be linking back to you here once I write this up.....
    Blessings for helping keeping me on track-

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this! So true! I am your newest follower from the Upward not inward link up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful reminder to me and a PERFECT start to the day. I needed this reminder girl!!! Thanks for linking up to Into the Word Wednesday again!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics