Monday, August 13, 2012

Rest, day two. Resting from success.


"We are called upon not to be successful, but to be faithful."

And I see in my heart too many cares about "success." I care about book sales and blog stats, and I allow happiness or discouragement to flow from those numbers, as if they were my judge.

To be faithful to my vocations, and not to be sidetracked by "success," as Mother Teresa said, and lived. I learned only this week that her real name was Agnes. 

Oh Agnes, my Aggie who cares nothing for success but who teaches me to be faithful, simply by living full of faith and love. God's love pours down on that dear child, and she takes it up with joy and passes it out freely to anyone around her with open hands. 

Fill me up Lord, this week with rest, and Your Truth, and Your Solid Love; that it my pour out generously on those around me. Make me faithful. Amen.


----------
And hear us, O world, who would commend or condemn, 
So quick to throw flowers or stones,
We have never sought what you acclaim
Nor shunned what you are accustomed to defame,
You saw us fasting,
Each perpared to make the final sacrifice--
When we, the wanderers lay down for the rest eternal,
Give others great names,
call us the faithful.

Erik Axel Karlfeldt
(as quoted in The Knights of Rhodes by Bo Giertz )

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this! God keeps bringing this up to me...to fear the Lord, to be faithful and worship Him alone. xo, viv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily. I just read your book today and am completely new to your blog. You silly girl, with such a practiced faith and beautiful story how can you doubt your success!?! I love your heart and your honesty and your openness. I look forward to getting to know you better through your words of faith. Bless you, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to your blog too. But your opening sentence for today? That is my mantra for my dear husband (a pastor). A lesson we learn over and over as our regenerate soul wars against the world...Happy to have found a like-minded woman on the web :)

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics