Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 4th with Kids: Check Your Expectations


Watching the fireworks with children: it sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?
It is a good idea,and it makes a beautiful memory...
of sorts.

I'd like you to experience the fireworks with my family.
Just for fun, read this post twice for two very different experiences.

#1 the Ideal Experience
Read the words only in bold, and enjoy the beautiful pictures. Wonderful, isn't it?

#2 The Real Deal
Now browse the posts again and read the actual kid commentary.
This is what it is like, with the audio track!

(I wish I could include the pokes and prods and climbing on and off my lap too, but you'll have to imagine that part.)

A boy and his boat
waiting for the big show


Is it starting yet? Why not?
Can we go out in the boat?
What time is it going to start?
What are those red lights over there? What’s a flare? I want a flare- where can we get one?
Now is it going to start?

Hold my hand, mommy.
Isn't it pretty?


Are not! Are too! Are NOT! Are TOO!
(What, guys?)
Fireworks are lightning, aren’t they mom?
(no)
Yeah well the moon is a firework, too.
Nuh-uh! Nuh- HUH!

Mommy can I go get that flare?
When am I going to get another hair cut?

I see one!

Is it over yet?
If a firework hits you, then you die.
Mom do you die, or do you just get your face blown off?
Or a leg or a head?
Haha, you’re gonna get your head blown off!

No I am NOT!

I don’t like the loud ones
I like the loud ones!
That one made my heart jump!
Mommy I’m scared can I snuggle you?
Mommy I’m not scared any more, so she can snuggle you now.
NO, I said it first!
Don't push me! I might fall off the dock!

Ooohhh 



I’m tired. Is it over yet?
Maybe you should just go to sleep on the dock.
No, I want my warm soft bed.
Was that thunder? Are fireworks thunder?
All of them are my favorite.
Can we go out on the boat?
Those people are out on a boat. Can we go out on the boat, too?
Someday can we have a boat and go out on it?
Is it over? Maybe they  had to stop for a minute so they could go buy some more.
Can we go out on the boat?

Ahhhh
Is that a tranatula on the dock?
Can I go catch some lightning bugs?
When I'm older I'm going to have a boat....
and I will go OUT in my boat.
I can’t catch the lightning bug. Will you catch one for me mom?
Be careful on the dock.
Don’t push!
I don’t want to jump in after you tonight!
A floating lantern like in Tangled! Do we have a lantern? Why not? Can we go buy one?
I want a lantern too! 
I want a flare!

Mommy, did you see that?





Hey that bird’s flying right through the fireworks!
I bet he’s like, “Hey guys, watch this!” to his friends.
(Marcus sit DOWN!)
Is it over yet?
Can we go to bed now?

YES.

------------------------------------------------
A beautiful memory, indeed. 
Without the audio track.




-------------------------------------------------

Do you take your children to watch the fireworks? 
What is it like?



New series coming soon:

If you've got it, flaunt it!
Our weakness, His strength.

Subscribe by email so you don't miss a thing!

15 comments:

  1. Oh, this made me giggle! I love watching fireworks with kids! More entertainment than the actual explosions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there commentary made it worth the staying up and the mosquitoes! :)

      Delete
  2. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! There is NOTHING better than REAL life, is there. So glad you post the real stuff :0). This year is the second one in which we were not all together and the first in which we did not watch at least some sort of town display. It is what happens and the littles turn into the bigs and go off and have lives of their own. It is bittersweet! The hubby and I simply decided to stay home. It was kind of nice...and then again, I missed the old way we used to do things! Enjoy the rest of what looks to be a sweltering week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a good 4th even without "littles" around! :) Yes it is HOT here. So hot even my kids couldn't stand swimming for more than 10 minutes this afternoon!

      Delete
  3. love your photos - so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith! Northern Indiana can be gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you guys had a blast! Great photo's.

    New follower via Musings of a Southern Housewife blog hop
    The Importance of Being Reese

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love taking our kids to see the fireworks. This year we didn't go. Our local areas could not afford fireworks--I'm in California where we don't have any money but approve high speed rails that cost billions. Oh well....

    Danielle @ Royalegacy Reviews and More
    Coming to you from The Mommyhood Chronicles Saturday Top 5 Laughs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am surprised they had the fireworks here... it is SO DRY and there is a burn ban...

      well, hope you had a good weekend!

      Delete
  6. Aw- looks like you guys had such a great time! What great photos! Marcus sounds funny! All my kids did with the fireworks, were run off scared,lol!! Hope you had a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha mine get scared too. Even sparklers are too much!

      Delete
  7. That. Was. Fabulous. I laughed SO HARD! You have managed to perfectly describe an event with children. Something I didn't think could be done. At least accurately. Oh, this was a fun post to read. Thank you for sharing on NOBH!
    P.S. Looked like a wonderful evening . . .!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... It was wonderful. Mostly. Sort of. :) Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Katie! Will do! Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics