Thursday, February 9, 2012

Goat training


So they went and saw where [Jesus] was staying, and they spent that day with him.
John 1:39

My first thought when I read this verse was a thought of jealousy. "Wow, that sure would be nice to spend a whole day with Jesus."

How easy it is to forget His promise, to feel like He WAS here and now He's far away. How easy it is to wish one could see with physical eyes, even though this seeing did not allow even the disciples to see him clearly.


...to spend a day with Him.
I can only imagine my perspective would change dramatically.  To have Him by my side in my day of child-chasing, helping me see and do what I actually should be seeing and doing...

As He says He will be, in His Word. Oh, right. That.

In our Women's Bible Class, we are reading a book called The Calling.  In it, as the author encourages us to make God the center of our lives, he also gives practical suggestions, and a few I have never heard before.  While I don't think there is any "trick" that can help make this easy or instantly destroy the sinful part of me that resists this, I do find it is helpful to try new ideas that may help break old habits. Like this one:

Set a timer to go off every 60 minutes for 60 days. (I assume not including hours of sleep.) When the time beeps, say a quick prayer to refocus on God and what is truly important.

I've been trying this, sort of, for the past two days. It helps that I set timers all the time anyways, to keep track of whose turn it is to do what, and who has to sit in their room for how long.  When the timer beeps, I simply pray, "God, help me see what's important and equip me to do that next."

Wow.
What a lesson in being a goat.  I am definitely the type of person who barrels through my day, and no little bit of prayer in the early morning is going to keep me barreling in the right direction all day long.

I'll be writing more about this, but right now I am seeing that this half-clothed child climbing on my chair is telling me that he's what's next, and it's time to do what's next!

God, help me see what's important and equip me to do that next!

Source: theanimalprintshop.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Remember to Subscribe by Email so you don't miss a thing! :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea to set a timer and pray every hour! Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of setting a timer every hour! Thanks for sharing! Stoppin by from CtL :) www.simplyhelpinghim.com

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics