Wednesday, February 15, 2012

dress rehearsal

They really are growing up.

Yesterday my oldest daughter discovered the box of fancy little-girl dresses that no longer fit her or her sister.

"Oh mommy! I remember wearing this dress!" she cried as she held the dress (size 2T) up to her almost 9-year-old self. "I wish I could wear this again today for our Valentine's Day dinner!"

"Well honey, I guess you should have thought of that before you grew up like you did." I joked.

"Mommy!" she rolled her eyes. "I can't help it you know!"

She can't help it, I know. I thought of this as I returned to my ironing. None of us can help it.  

My selfish desire to stay in little land with my babies is simply ignored. I pretend this is fine.

"Mommy, don't give this dress away, ok?" She knows me to well. "You have to save it- because when I grow up and move out of the house, I want to have it to put on my little girl someday."

I smile and promise.

I do a dress rehearsal, practicing letting-go in this little act. I pretend I can see it-- that day when she's out of the house-- and I pretend it will be easy to smile and pass on the frilly treasures for the next generation.


the above-mentioned dress.

seems like yesterday...

this actually was yesterday :)

"Now I can see that children are as light as air.  
They float past you, nudging against you like balloons as they ascend."
(S Fisher. read more here.)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, it is hard to let them grow up. Although we didn’t get our boys until they were your daughters’ ages now, I still miss the things we did, the fun we had... and it passes so quickly. Now our grandkids are getting ready to leave the house - permanently.

    Just one more time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the awesome quote by S. Fisher. I went to the website and read the entire article. What an inspiring writer she is! I know I will be re-reading and sharing that.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics