Monday, April 16, 2012

Slackers: Am I getting it, a little?

A child forgets her homework, then forgets that she forgot it because she doesn't care that she forgot it.
Then, she hears the lecture, shrugs it off, and forgets the same thing again the next day.


slacker!


I ask another child, "Why were you sent to the corner?"
"I don't remember." he says.
No lesson learned, no remorse. He's just happy to have the corner-standing bit done so that he can get back to doing what he feels like.


slacker!

Please don't misunderstand. I respect slackers. I appreciate people who truly do not care what other people think of them, because I know I care too much.  As one who was always motivated by smiley-face stickers and A+s, I have come to see that sometimes... that actually is a pretty crazy reason to do something.  I was not put on this earth to perform for gold stars.


I am trying to figure out how you think. So far, I think I have this much down for certain:
:( Pictures, Images and Photos

You do not care about my frowny-face.


In fact, my frowns, if they turn into attempts at pulling heartstrings and guilt-motivating, 


will probably make you respect me less;


Roll your eyes;


Care even less.



As my sister, a confessing slacker, explains, 
"I can tell you what did not motivate me. 
Reason did not motivate me, guilt did not motivate me. 
Consequences sometimes motivated me. 
Any pressure from anyone didn't motivate me, 
but only served to encourage me to further dig in my heels in a state of refusal."




Find out what happened to my favorite "slacker" tomorrow!

---------
Slackers, or parents of slackers, do you think this is accurate? 
What else do I need to know?




4 comments:

  1. I follow this series with bated breath. I have a slacker, too. How do we teach him to be responsible for things he does not care about? How do we teach him to do his best, when his best is not up to our standards? Is something wrong with our standards, or is it his laziness? Punishment meant nothing to him when he was younger. I could go on...but I'll wait to see what shows up here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a habitual slacker! I have found that when it's something "I" desire greatly, I work harder for it. I do NOT work hard out of motivation from outside sources. I am working towards being motivated by God's Plan, but that's a work in progress because when you don't see His whole Plan it's hard to be motivated by faith alone...even tho i want to be. Wow, I hope that made sense and isn't just awful rambling....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura that makes sense.
      I won't say I understand bc I am one of those weird driven people... not that that's necessarily better, because being driven is what I desire too :)

      May God help both of our hearts be moved by love for him and love for one another! (without that help we are out of luck!)

      Delete
  3. Recently I've had the pleasure opportunity to work with slackline
    BIRT for a reporting project. My conclusion is that it is by far, the most inaccessible open source project I've ever seen. This post is dedicated to my future self.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics