Wednesday, April 11, 2012

We can give blood with our prayers.


She stood in the back of the crowded church. Children wiggled in itchy lace and tight ties in front of the church.

 Has there ever been a mother so happy to see her children sing?

 “It is my own little Christmas miracle,” she had said.

She had been starving for this. 

After over a month in isolation, aching for human contact and especially the arms of her children, she had finally been discharged, just in time for Christmas. 

Cancer had stolen so many moments… but not this one.

Her head was wrapped in a colorful scarf, and her mouth was hidden behind a mask for fear of germs. Still, her ears soaked in the songs of the children.  Her bright eyes showed the smile I could not see.

IMG_4356 (2).jpg
I loved that day. 
I can still see Konnor and Taylor giving me a "shout out"
-one where they pointed up at me and smiled so big-
then they pointed me out to their cousins -- "look my mommy's back!"
--Kristie

Months of waiting followed.  Did the treatment destroy the cancer?
We all wondered, and hugged her with wet eyes.

I’m praying for you Kristie. If there’s anything I can do, please don’t hesitate…

I imagined her tucking her children into bed at night, grateful for one more day, and always wondering if there will be two. What in the world can be done to soften that? Lord, have mercy.

We are praying, Kristie. If there’s anything at all…  Please, tell us.

Kristie, our sister, weak and loved.

April brought test results.  Cancer in one area, defeated; but on another front, it grows new.
Kristie is moved to a waiting list.

The treatment with her own stem cells was not sufficient. Now, she needs a donor.  She is waiting, praying for a match, a cure, more time.

We cannot promise time, but we can give blood with our prayers.

The Wessel family. Photo by Cindy Poland

Prayers for Kristie continue.

She has asked: and there is something we can do.

Please, visit marrow.org and find out how you can help. 

It’s easier than you think, and you just might save a life. 

------------------

Friends, please help spread the word! Share this post!  

------------------
More updates on Kristie to follow, including her soon-to-be announced Caring bridge page!

Don't miss a thing!


Smile, think, laugh, cry, gag, and pray with me!
Get a glimpse "Behind the Blog!
Subscribe to Weak and Loved by Email Today!

(Or, connect with me on facebook, or RSS )

1 comment:

  1. She is one of my very best friends & there is not a moment that goes by when I don't think of her & lift her in prayer. Thank you for this most beautiful post! Kristie & I have shared many verses since December 2010, but most of all she has taught me to "Rejoice in The Lord always!" Philippians 4:4. I know she rejoices in every single moment with those babies & Derek.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics