Friday, April 13, 2012

important things to do

I don’t have time for sick kids! I grumble in my head, thinking of my too-long list of things I will be forced to ignore if he stays clingy like this all day long. 

I have more important things to do than sit on the couch!

Do you, really?
He looks up at me.


2012-04-13 13.35.09.jpg

And I see him.
I really see him.

He sits on me, fighting his sixth ear infection, and he pleads with his eyes.
Hold me, mama.
I sit a little longer.
His tears stop, and he snuggles into my soft robe. He hiccups, then sighs a grateful sigh.  He is content.

For a moment, I am content, too.

He cannot pray, not with words. He is too young for that, I suppose.
And yet if he had the words, what would he pray for?

Pain relief (We still have those drops in the cupboard.)
Medicine (daddy is on his way with that!)
Comfort in the meantime: a body like a soft pillow, and warm, sympathetic arms.

And God would answer his prayer, by sending him his mother.

The words were not necessary. God provided before he asked.
…and in this moment, I am that provision.

Right now, today, I get to be the one who soothes him. I am a comforting embrace to this little child, MY little child. I get to be God’s hands of compassion to him, God’s arms around Him in an afternoon nap.

What could be more important?

We sleep.

It is good to be a child.







8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thought, the "medicine of mama" and our babies learning so young that God "provides me richly and daily with all that I need to support this body and life".

    Oh that I would remember that in those many many moments when I think I have more "important" things to do! Thanks Emily! I'll pray for your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. I wish I had more arms. I could hold my 2 yr old so much more but my baby hogs my arms. He's had a cold the past several days too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had at least four--- two for snuggling and two for wrestling. Or maybe a clone. So hard when some are sick and some are healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well said, Emily. (I love the way you write. you are an inspiration and motivation!)
    Sometimes I forget that I am the answer to my child's prayer. What an honor that is. What a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for this beautiful description of the joys of motherhood....
    I am your newest follower, with 2 sick kids with ear infections...pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you got it, mom of 8! I bet we have a ton in common :)

      hope your babies with ear problems get better soon :(

      Delete
  6. this is so adorable i love it!
    New follower from the Blog Hop
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics