Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kids, violence, and the cross- what do you think?


In my Sunday School bag last week, I had coloring pages and play-dough, happy kid music, and a crucifix.

What an odd combination.

I have to be honest. This makes me uncomfortable.  Part of me would prefer teaching children about a huggable, snuggly, God. Buddy Christ, who likes to drink chocolate milk and sing and dance, just like you, kiddos!  (From the clip: Christ didn't come to Earth to give us "the willies!" He was a booster! He came to help us out!)

Help. Comfort. Good cheer. Those are the things I like to talk about.
But that was not my assigned lesson this time.

We're talking about death, here.
Violent death, even. It's ugly.
And... won't this scare the children?



When I showed the crucifix to the children, they got very serious.
We talked about Jesus's owies.
They showed me their owies, too.
They spoke with soft voices, for a minute or two. It was strange for all of us.

Friends, what do you think?

Does the cross make you uncomfortable?
How do you deal with this?
Do you think it scares children?
Should children be protected from all violent images, including this one?

Please, share your thoughts with me, and stay tuned for more on this topic!

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Moore wrote a post on this that sums up my thoughts. :)
    http://www.russellmoore.com/2012/04/02/is-easter-too-violent-for-kids/

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics