Monday, November 26, 2012

Soma: A Prescription for No More Bad Days

Soma. 
Don’t you wish we had a drug like soma?

It’s like alcohol without the side effects. It’s an instant good mood, a cure for any negative emotion. It is a holiday in a bottle, with no consequences. And, in Brave New World, it is socially encouraged, accepted, expected.

"One cubic centimeter cures ten gloomy sentiments."

It’s an easy way to reset any bad day. It’s a way for people to stop feeling weary and tired and angry, and instead become cheerful, functional, and productive again.

“Punctured, utterly deflated, he dropped into a chair and, covering his face with his hands, began to weep. A few minutes later, however, he thought better of it and took four tablets of soma.”

Poof. The bad day is gone. The bad mood is melted away. He is “himself” again.

Sounds nice, doesn’t it?
So let me ask you, if soma were for sale today, would you take it?

What would you do to escape your bad days, your trials, your emotions?




2 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of medication. I'll go hours before I take Tylenol for a headache and days before I take medicine for a cold. I don't want to become dependent on or immune to the effects of a pill. That said, there are days when I know I shouldn't be as upset as I am about things (or nothing!). Those days, I wish I could take a "magic" pill and feel OK, again. I try to avoid alcohol on those days, reserving it for celebrations, not frustrations. Sometimes ice cream seems to work, but I know that's not a good solution. Soma seems like what I've been wishing for, but I doubt I would take it. It sounds "too good to be true," and I would be concerned about dependency and other side-effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know people like you... in fact, those feelings are part of the reason I tried natural childbirth.. twice, but no more than twice :)

      You are wise to avoid alcohol on 'those' days :)

      Are there other ways that you cope, or have you found a way to accept just feeling bad for awhile?

      Delete


Web Analytics