Thursday, November 22, 2012

Life, here. (and Happy Thanksgiving.)

In a tree outside my window, there is a nest.
The next is empty.
Quiet.


Life grew there, I think to myself.

And I turn around and I see my house.

Life grows here.


Life is growing in this house, with noise and bold colors, with music and mess.  

His blessings are so abundant that I cannot even see them all to count them. I breathe them in, walk on them, wear them, eat them, rest in their arms, and dwell in them.




"It’s almost too much this passing of time, the dying of dreams and the budding of new ones, this growing of babies into children and children into women and hearts to maturity. And I cry because I want to hold it all forever, His goodness in this place. I run fingers over knife-worn counters and time runs too fast. And people are sent out from here. People heading home and people heading off to new futures and one day, these girls, too. I serve meals in this kitchen but I want to serve them what counts. I want to offer them the living bread, the only food that truly fills.

I have laughed here, I have wept here, I have created here, oh, I have prayed here. And here in this place, I have known Him more. I haven’t always done it right and some days I feel that I haven’t been enough, but I know that He has. He has. Right above the oven are painted the words of Acts, “They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and generous hearts… and the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved,” and I know it like I know my own breath and the warmth of the sun on my skin, time passes, and they will go, and only He will remain.

My eyes find the trail of footprints leading to the door, and through bated breath I ask it, beg it, “Lord, if I could have just one thing, could I have served them You?”"  ---- Katie Davis


Read the full post here. It is well worth your time.



Giving thanks with you this weekend, for abundant blessings,
 and for the love of God we have in Christ Jesus.

Happy thanksgiving.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful....absolutely beautiful. How thankful I am that He is enough. Without me, He is enough. Thank you for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wonderful! Thank you for sharing this over at Deep Roots At Home! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics