- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Upstairs was somewhat tidy.
I’d been working to the point of sweat, and I was almost done.
I’d been working to the point of sweat, and I was almost done.
This was good, because I was tired.
I felt accomplished, but utterly exhausted.
Then, I went downstairs.
I saw what I saw, and instantly, my face turned ugly and green, and I became a gift-hating small-hearted Grinch.
But it was not just Christmas I suddenly hated. It was Easter and Valentine’s Day and Birthdays and ANY hallmark-created occasion for a person to give stuff to my children.
I grabbed a trash bag and considered cancelling all gift-giving holidays for the rest of my children’s lives.
I hated the gift bags and the small pieces and the disorder.
I slammed the Lincoln logs into the box, and I threw the Little People into another. I pitched the matchbox car with a missing wheel, and I seethed at too many toys, toys ruined and unappreciated and in my way.
At least once a year I become this person. I am driven to the edge by the clutter and the mess and the sheer amount of STUFF in this house. I seriously consider throwing EVERY thing away.
They can play with stick and rocks. I've had it.
“ You've got to be KIDDING ME!” I yelled to nobody, as I discovered a pile of cotton fluff, ripped from the insides of the couch and used for baby bedding.
I cleaned.
No, I angry-cleaned.
And in my head I made a list.
I listed the infractions the misdeeds, the evidence of ungrateful selfishness, the inconveniences to their dear mother, the irresponsible thoughtless behavior.
So here’s the thing.
My list?
It’s not wrong.
This is a problem, and they are ungrateful, and they need a good lecture about this. They need to learn to work and appreciate and care for their things.
I often end days like this with a firm lecture and a huffy attitude and a few bags for goodwill in the van. Then I sleep it off, and the next day when they come home from school with another plastic spider, I just add it to our collection.
But this time, my angry cleaning did not end with a mommy-rant.
This time, it turned into a lesson on Law and Gospel, first for me, then for them.
Come back later this week to find out what in the world I am talking about.
-------
Do you ever run around your house with a trash bag and a crazed look in your
eyes?
How do you fight clutter in your home?
How do you fight clutter in your home?
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Grace frees me to be the child that I am and to ask my Father for help. -John Kleinig
