- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
This is an idea I simply must share.
Recently I joined some other "tween" mothers to discuss the book "Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl." The book was good. The conversation was fantastic. I will post more on this topic, but for today- just one idea.
It is so important to stay connected with our little girls!
and also,
It is so HARD to stay connected with my little girl!
Here is one fantastic idea (from Lisa at the PCC- thank you so much for your great work Lisa!)

She told us of one mother who had a terrible time trying to get her daughter to open up to her. The little girl did not want to talk about anything that was even mildly uncomfortable. But the mother was determined to stay connected with her daughter and to be there for her during the awkward changes. She wanted her to be comfortable coming to her with questions.
Since talking failed, mom tried a journal : mother-daughter journal. A secret mother-daughter journal, for writing in whenever you want, with questions or thoughts or anything at all. Mom would write in it and sneak it under her pillow. Days or weeks later, daughter would reply. Slowly the daughter found courage to show pieces of her heart and even ask her mother questions that she would not have asked her in person.
What a great idea!
I already know my daughter likes to write. I knew she would love this idea. I am running with it. I am keeping it simple, allowing it to be imperfect and even sloppy (which is absolutely necessary if I am going to be handwriting anything!) I presented it to her on Sunday, along with other "gifts" to celebrate this next season of her life. I think it was a hit.
This is inside the front cover:
Then I wrote her a little note about how I love her and want to be there for her, etc, and I started off with an easy question: Who is your favorite school friend, and why?
I think this is going to be the beginning of a super-fun, super-secret mother daughter bonding experience! Because it is super-secret, I will not be able to divulge much more information. But I know my sweet darling will not mind if I show you this:
... maybe big kids can be pretty cool after all...
You can download this great label for the cover at this location:
http://mamajenn.com/blog/2010/11/mama-me-journal.html
Recently I joined some other "tween" mothers to discuss the book "Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl." The book was good. The conversation was fantastic. I will post more on this topic, but for today- just one idea.
It is so important to stay connected with our little girls!
and also,
It is so HARD to stay connected with my little girl!
Here is one fantastic idea (from Lisa at the PCC- thank you so much for your great work Lisa!)
She told us of one mother who had a terrible time trying to get her daughter to open up to her. The little girl did not want to talk about anything that was even mildly uncomfortable. But the mother was determined to stay connected with her daughter and to be there for her during the awkward changes. She wanted her to be comfortable coming to her with questions.
Since talking failed, mom tried a journal : mother-daughter journal. A secret mother-daughter journal, for writing in whenever you want, with questions or thoughts or anything at all. Mom would write in it and sneak it under her pillow. Days or weeks later, daughter would reply. Slowly the daughter found courage to show pieces of her heart and even ask her mother questions that she would not have asked her in person.
What a great idea!
I already know my daughter likes to write. I knew she would love this idea. I am running with it. I am keeping it simple, allowing it to be imperfect and even sloppy (which is absolutely necessary if I am going to be handwriting anything!) I presented it to her on Sunday, along with other "gifts" to celebrate this next season of her life. I think it was a hit.
This is inside the front cover:
Then I wrote her a little note about how I love her and want to be there for her, etc, and I started off with an easy question: Who is your favorite school friend, and why?
I think this is going to be the beginning of a super-fun, super-secret mother daughter bonding experience! Because it is super-secret, I will not be able to divulge much more information. But I know my sweet darling will not mind if I show you this:
... maybe big kids can be pretty cool after all...
You can download this great label for the cover at this location:
http://mamajenn.com/blog/2010/11/mama-me-journal.html
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Grace frees me to be the child that I am and to ask my Father for help. -John Kleinig