Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A great 'tween idea

This is an idea I simply must share.


Recently I joined some other "tween" mothers to discuss the book "Six Ways to Keep the Little in Your Girl."  The book was good.  The conversation was fantastic.  I will post more on this topic, but for today- just one idea.

It is so important to stay connected with our little girls!
and also,
It is so HARD to stay connected with my little girl!

Here is one fantastic idea (from Lisa at the PCC- thank you so much for your great work Lisa!)

Mama and Me Journal

She told us of one mother who had a terrible time trying to get her daughter to open up to her.  The little girl did not want to talk about anything that was even mildly uncomfortable.  But the mother was determined to stay connected with her daughter and to be there for her during the awkward changes.  She wanted her to be comfortable coming to her with questions.

Since talking failed, mom tried a journal :  mother-daughter journal.  A secret mother-daughter journal, for writing in whenever you want, with questions or thoughts or anything at all.  Mom would write in it and sneak it under her pillow.  Days or weeks later, daughter would reply.  Slowly the daughter found courage to show pieces of her heart and even ask her mother questions that she would not have asked her in person.

What a great idea!


I already know my daughter likes to write.  I knew she would love this idea.  I am running with it.  I am keeping it simple, allowing it to be imperfect and even sloppy (which is absolutely necessary if I am going to be handwriting anything!)  I presented it to her on Sunday, along with other "gifts" to celebrate this next season of her life. I think it was a hit.

This is inside the front cover:


Then I wrote her a little note about how I love her and want to be there for her, etc, and I started off with an easy question: Who is your favorite school friend, and why?

I think this is going to be the beginning of a super-fun, super-secret mother daughter bonding experience!  Because it is super-secret, I will not be able to divulge much more information.  But I know my sweet darling will not mind if I show you this:



... maybe big kids can be pretty cool after all...

Mama and Me Journal


You can download this great label for the cover at this location:

http://mamajenn.com/blog/2010/11/mama-me-journal.html

16 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! Love it :) big kids r very cool.wonder if it is too late to start this with my 15yr old? Definately gonna start one with my 7r old :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's never too late. I did this with both my daughters. At first they thought it was silly but then they got into it and we shared a lot. Even when they got mad at me they were able to write about it. Infact, that's when they wrote the most. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great and very sweet idea. I will have to keep this in the back of my mind for when my daughter is older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest is so excited about it I had to start a (simpler) one for her little sister this week too!

    Maybe your 15 year old will like it sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. Wish you all blessings on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!! I'm making one for my daughter whom is 8. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I had a journal like this with my husband when he worked 16-20 hour days in grad school. It helped us stay connected. With 2 of my daughters, I encouraged them to write letters to me. They still do today! It is a great way to open up communication when talking is sometimes hard.

    Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I didn't have a journal, but we did keep in touch by email while he was deployed with the army! Funny thing, even though he's home, I still sometimes sit down to write him an email when I have something really emotional to talk about :)

      Delete
  8. Saw this on pinterest...i actually started one with my mom when i was in college! (I lived at home during those years.) i hadnt thought of doing it with my little girl when she is older (she is a month old right now...) but i love the symbols!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, in college, that is so cool!

      Hey, she is only one month old, but that doesn't mean you can't start pinning and planning for later!
      Actually I do this with my first grader, though it's mostly coloring pictures for each other! She LOVES the surprise when I slip it under her pillow!

      Thanks for visiting! I hope you come again!

      Delete
  9. That's such a great idea! I love that you shared with us on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you'll be back tis week to share some more.
    -Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pathetic. This is not a healthy way of communicating - it teaches your daughter to shut down and be embarrassed about having frank discussions. It promotes staying silent and refusing to bring troublesome issues to the forefront. Your head is screwed on pretty loose if this is your idea of fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has not been my experience at all. It is simply one more line of communication we have open. And... it is fun :)

      Delete
  11. Emily,
    What a great idea....will definetly be passing this one along. Blessings, miss our "conversations." Hope all is well with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this idea! And think it would only promote conversations, especially ones that she may not feel comfortable bringing up at first.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics