tucking them in over and over

generosity

I always like the Angel Tree project.  I remember being a small child, giving mittens, and imagining how sad it would be to be a child with no mittens.

So I walked by the Angel Tree yesterday.  I saw a request from a girl my daughter’s age:

DSI games

DSI games?!  This is what the needy children in our community NEED?

I am glad my daughter was not with me.  She would have had to hear me rant and grumble and change my mind about doing the Angel Tree. 

When actual needs, food and shelter and clothes, are met in abundance, what else is there to do but to turn “wants” into “needs?”  I am not just talking about the “career welfare” folk. 

We do it, too.  My kids do it. I do it.  I “need” naptime and coffee and internet.


These children of mine, who are technically poor themselves according to government standards, have not wanted for a single thing in their little lives.

How can I help grow their little hearts for those not so blessed? 
How do you teach children to be generous?  

I am really asking.  Will you think with me on this during advent please? 

(Please see sidebar announcement)