Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Exercise (Weak and Lovely- Guest Post!)

Welcome, to today's guest-poster, Mary Anne Schneider!

Exercise

I have no motivation when it comes to exercise. I hate to exercise. A dozen or so work out videos sit collecting dust in my entertainment center. Billy Blanks, Cheryl Burke, Jillian Michaels, and Bob Harper (just to name a few) have promised fun, motivation, and a healthier lifestyle if I will follow their tried and true workout program. The last DVD I bought stayed in the wrapper for 4 weeks. Since its grand opening, I have used the video a total of two times.
This is my kind of exercise: LOL!

Research proves that exercise is good for you. According to the Mayo Clinic website, exercise can boost your mood, increase your energy, and lower your risk of disease, help you maintain a healthy weight, reduce stress, and improve sleep. All my friends seem to be doing it. I know I should do it, too. There are opportunities all around our community to become involved in exercise programs. I should not have any excuse not to be exercising. Why is it then that here I am, a little after 4:00 p.m., sitting on my couch with no intention of popping one of those 12 DVDs in the player?

Is it because I am on my feet most of the day at work? Around 3:00 p.m. my thoughts turn to my couch and sitting down. I can’t wait to set my toes free from my suffocating shoes and put my feet up. For some people it is a lack of extra time to fit in exercise. I should not use time as an excuse. I could fit it in if I really wanted to do it. Does anyone else fight this battle?

My challenge for the week:
  • Make a list of exercises I could easily do. Include exercises that do not require extra work, money or extra effort to go somewhere.
  • Exercise two times this week. (baby steps)
  • Remind myself that I am worth the effort!


What is your favorite form of exercise?
What motivates you to exercise? 

5 comments:

  1. When I got to, "Make a list of exercises," I read, "Make a list of excuses." Can you tell where my brain is?
    Saw a quote on another blog this morning...it said (Fill-in-the-blank, whatever workout you do, for me it would read like this,) "Running in a straight line for miles on end is hard, but living in a body you hate is harder."
    This motivated me today.
    I do love running. I mostly love how I feel the rest of the day, when I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Mary Anne! Can I borrow your block of wood? Just kidding. You are right, it is too easy to make excuses. I'm going to try to take these baby steps this week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post Mary Ann. Sometimes I get crazy and fall in love with exercise. Right now I am in a season of exercise hatred. On Thursday, I did my first workout with Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred DVD. It was stupid and I hated every second of it. Two days later I am still so sore that I am hobbling around like an old lady. The good news is that every time I am in a funk, once I start at the very minimum, I always, eventually end up actually wanting to exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also in a hatred of exercise season, mostly because of the self pity about my boot and my chaotic house due to my boot slowness. (Maybe I should try punching the boot?)

    But today I went on a bike ride and worked up a nice sweat.
    My 'orange rhino' was put to the test already by my oldest boy... but i guess that is a workout too!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics