Monday, December 10, 2012

An ache, a crazy prayer, and the joy of giving

One upon a time, a young girl prayed,
“Break my heart for what breaks yours.”

And she ended up in Africa.  She has an amazing story to tell, and I encourage you to read it.

One of Katie's kids, nursed back to health.
read more here
It is not a calm story, or a safe story, or a tame story. It is a story of the love of Christ poured out on to others in Uganda.  It is a story of being unsettled and uprooted.  It is a story of love.

Love is not stable. it is not calm and placid.  It is not predictable.  Love suffers, love upsets the normal order of things. Love is passion--love is dancing with those who dance, and aching with those who ache. Love gets hurt. Love gets wounded.

Love is vulnerable. 
Love often looks like weakness.

Yet it is so much more dynamic and beautiful and alive than a life of soma, a life of worldly, selfish happiness. 

Jesus, break my heart for what breaks yours.

I read Katie's story this summer, and it refuses to leave me. Reading her words led to more reading, and learning, and aching for those in this world who have so little.

And I look around here, at our abundance, the blessings that fill our home and our house so full that they spill over, get in our way, and even drive me crazy. 

Jesus, can I do something?  I know I can't fix it all, but can you use me to help, even just a little?

I thought about my vocation, and how there seems to be nothing left over of me for anything outside this house.  How can a person with nothing left give something?

Then, I thought about our home, and how well we are provided for by my husband and those who love us.  Then, I thought about my hobby- the writing I do in this place, and I thought about my husband who encourages me to write, yet refuses to kill the joy of it by pressuring me to turn this hobby into a career.

Words. I can give my words.
I can donate the profits from my new book.

And like a little girl asking her dad for permission to buy a puppy, I asked my husband what he thought of that idea. He thought it was wonderful.

I get to give. 

It may not be much, but it is something.
(I chose Project 24 in Kenya. Click here to find out why)

Maybe I can help just one.

DSC00909
Photo from childrenwithnoone.org


Perhaps you'd like to join me?
Read more about Project 24 here.



Tend to Me: Devotions for Mothers

5 comments:

  1. Powerful testimony about God... for Katie, and for yourself. God’s work is amazing!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's called a double blessing! We get the privilege of reading your words and in turn the blessing to others as you give the profit back to God. I want to purchase a couple books for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful and wonderful our God is! He takes whatever we have and turns it into beauty! Thank you for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, A double blessing!! I am so amazed to see all that God is doing!! I am SO glad you shared over at Deep Roots and hope you will link-up often with your great content and heart for the Lord Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics