Friday, December 14, 2012

Sitting in sadness

My son came home with tears in his eyes today.

He had a note from his teacher. It was a "bad note," because he did something "really really naughty today. "(He and his friends made a mess with soap "explosions" in the bathroom.)
He was repentant, and terrified, he could hardly talk for the crying.

He sniffed, squeezed me again, and said, "I never thought I'd be a kid that had to go talk to the principal."
And all this time, his mother was acting quite odd. She wasn't mad. She just hugged him back, quietly and firmly.
She sat under him on the couch for as long as he needed, rubbing his back, and comforting him.
She lectured him a little, but her heart wasn't really in it. She was tender, affectionate. Her arms welcomed her little sinner, and she was happy to sit with him in sadness for as long as he needed.

She wasn't thinking of the note.
All she could think was, "my son came home from school today."

My heart and my thoughts are with those in Connecticut.

photo credit
Did you know there was a similar tragedy in China today, too? Read about it here.

Today, I am not this mother.
But like her, I live in this sad place.

How long, Lord?

Have mercy.
Tend to us.
Tend to them, those whose hearts break.

Jesus hold us close.
Without you, there is no hope.


4 comments:

  1. Amen, Amen, and Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true. With Jesus, we do have hope, even amidst hopeless situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN!!! So good and so true.
    http://mistersandmaids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there is no hope without Christ. This life is worth nothing without the love of God and his promise of redemption. What upsets me is when people blame God for tragedy - how could he allow this??! I wrote a post about that here, if you are interested:
    http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-heavy-heart.html
    Suffering should draw us TO God, not away from him. This is what grieves me most.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics