Monday, September 5, 2011

swept up

I like to sit on the swing with a glass of wine in the quiet of the evening.
And although it is a COMPLETELY different experience, I also like to sit on the swing with my two daughters in the quiet of the evening.

We are about to snuggle in bed to read our chapter book, when I notice a light show going on in our back yard.  Two pajama'd girls and I take our book outside to the swing, and we sit together under to watch the distant lightning.  The sky is conflicted: in part, bright pink with the glories of sunset, and in part, heavy, pregnant with rain.

No reading occurs.  
The air is hot, heavy, and still.  I sit between the two of them as they marvel, loudly:
 "LOOK! I saw a streak of lightning!" 
"Look mama over there right above those trees!" 
"Look mama, is it getting closer?"  
"Mama LOOK there's some more! Is the rain going to come?"  

Slowly the thunder grows louder, and finally, the wind picks up.  The wind is like a refreshing breath of fall, and as it blows it snatches leaves from their climbing tree, causing them to rain down on us in a beautiful shower.

The rushing beauty of the evening sweeps the girls right up into it, and I watch with a smile as they run towards the leaves and try to catch them as they fell everywhere. 

Two sweet girls, running in the leaves and wind; meeting the changing of seasons with dancing and shouts of joy; oh my dear daughter-teachers, I learn so much from you.  The joy that spills out of you fills my heart too.

"Mommy! Mommy! Come catch leaves with us!" they beg.
and so I do, and it is glorious.


falling leaves Pictures, Images and Photos
Praise God who blesses His children in all seasons.

4 comments:

  1. those moments when your heart just soars....it is so wonderful to share :)
    michy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michy! I love moments like this... I can't help but write about them! It's almost like I HAVE to get it down on "paper" or it will disappear forever!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the simple, natural moments like this in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! I am so glad I snatched it up and put it on paper or it would have blown away with those leaves :)
      Thanks for the comment! Hope to hear from you again!

      Delete


Web Analytics