Monday, April 18, 2022

not the doctor

 Can we put our struggles under a microscope, can we dice up our brain-body-soul in such a way that we can categorize all the pieces? 

Biology, idolatry, chemical triggers, environment, selfishness, need, wounds given, wounds received, genetics, and downright sin- What is what and how does it all go together? 


I once thought the answer to that question was of supreme importance. 


Surely, I need to sort it out, because I need to respond and work in the right direction in order to heal, right? 


Well, no, actually.


I am not the physician here. I am the patient; and all that is required of me is check in to the hospital.  The healing work is Jesus’ work. 


What is sin-- He sees, and forgives, cleanses. He makes the crooked places straight.

What are wounds- He sees, and He listens to their stories while He treats them. Many are still healing; He checks on them often.

What is weakness--- He sees, and sometimes we start physical therapy.
Sometimes, even if I want physical therapy, He gives me the gift of acceptance instead, and teaches me to compensate, to hobble along imperfectly, and to stop fighting for something that is not promised. 


When it’s all tangled up and I’m just a mess of need, He is not unsettled. 


He simply pulls up a chair next to my hospital bed and hears me out. Then He reminds me of His capability, and tells me I should drink some water and take a nap. 


Healing takes time.


Jesus is near me as my surgeon, nurse, and friend.


Biology, idolatry, chemical triggers, environment, selfishness, need, wounds given, wounds received, genetics, and downright sin- What is what and how does it all go together? 


Child, you can rest without all the answers. Jesus is your physician, and you are in His care.


Trust his prescription for you, one day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics