Sunday, May 2, 2021

the branch complains


 I prayed for peace, God, and emotional self control, 

and found myself in a hurricane of conflict and anxiety.

I could do so much more for you if things were calm, Lord!
I would serve so cheerfully if the thorns were gone, 

don’t you want that, God?


Really, little branch, tiny twig, you have an opinion about this?
You, grafted into the vine by grace and by His strength (not yours),

Sticking out there in the wind,

one tiny part of the massive living church that God in His eternal wisdom has been growing as long as he has been sustaining the planet and life itself by His almighty power,

You. 

You are going to look up into the Master’s face and tell Him what YOU need;

What you need to do or to have in this season of your life?
You’re going to show him your spreadsheet, are you now?

Your plan that makes sense? With the color coded columns?


His mysterious pruning shears clamp down right where it’s already sore, and the twig gasps, complains, can’t understand. 


The twig does not choose the fruit it bears. 

or prune itself.

The twig receives from the hand of God

brilliant sunshine and putrid fertilizer.


Abide, says the Lord

the Master Gardener.

Abide in me. 


It is law and invitation; this calling to abide. 

Apart from me you can do nothing.

Trust me when it hurts. 

Abide.


----

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. (John 15:1-11)


Inspired by Pastor Cook’s sermon from today: Listen here for more challenging thoughts on this topic!

Sermon starts at 42min.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics