Saturday, August 13, 2011

New Years Eve

New Years Eve: A time for reflection, last hurrahs, and marveling at the swift passage of time. In mommy-land, it is New School-Years Eve that elicits the sighs, the tears, and the sweet remembrances. 

Happy New Year!

It is bittersweet, to see each one learning and growing so quickly. 

On a whim last week, Seth asked me to help him on the bike.  I did, and ran alongside of him.  It “clicked” immediately, and he was off.  “Good Seth! You got it! Go, go go go… wait, slow down!”   but whoosh, just like that he was out of my grasp,  free wheeling away from me.  He looked back at me with an enormous smile. 

It was a familiar feeling- Joy, delight, and “go go go!” and then suddenly, “wait!”  Wait, not so fast, you are getting ahead of me a bit!  Wait, are you sure you are ready for that?  I’m not sure I can keep up and it scares me a little and c’mon just wait!

Just wait for mommy….  I’ll catch up eventually.  But let’s just let down the anchor and stay here for a bit longer, shall we?

But here comes a new school year.  There is no anchor for seasons of life.
It's time to move along, mama.
Jesus, hold me steady.

...We who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.  We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf.  Hebrews 6:18-20


4 comments:

  1. We must be on the same wavelength :) I just wrote a post about seasons of life last night too :). How is it possible that these seasons keep passing by in such a blur? Tonight while on a family walk my oldest was riding his bike up ahead of us when two older boys rode up on either side of him and said some mean teasing things and rode off. My son stopped his bike and waited for us and said, "Mommy and Daddy, remember in my arch book called "Jesus walks away" how Jesus walked right through that angry crowd that wanted to kill him and just silently walked away? Well those big kids were being mean and I just rode away without saying anything just like Jesus." tear* :) In that moment I realized I'm going to blink and be watching this little boy turned man receive his bride and move on to his own family. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow what a moment! That is so sweet, sad, wonderful! It just amazes me how something so fantastic- them growing and blooming- can be at the same time so SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking this, it's definitely relevant! I'm just beginning to experience these things. My oldest started preschool today and although I wasn't as emotional as some other parents, it definitely has hit me today how quickly she is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep that is exactly how I feel. I cry every time I read blog posts like this.

    www.adventureswithcaptaindestructo.com

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics