Tuesday, March 25, 2014

a heart list

As you know, I love lists. This list by John Bunyan, surprised, convicted, and comforted me all at once. It is good to know I am not the only child of God with a list like this.


I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:
(1) An inclination to unbelief.
(2) Suddenly forgetting the love and mercy that Christ shows us.
(3) A leaning to the works of the Law.
(4) Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
(5) Forgetting to watch for that which I have prayed for.
(6) A tendency to murmur becuase I have no more, and yet a willingness to abuse what I have.
(7) I can do none o fhtose things which God commands me, but my corruptions will thurst themselves upon me so that "When I would do good, evil is present with me."

These things I continually see and feel and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God orders them for my good.

(1) They make me abhor myself.
(2) They keep me from trusting my heart.
(3) They convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness.
(4) They show me the necessity of flying ot Jesus.
(5) They press me to pray to God.
(6) They show me the need I have to watch and be sober.
(7) And they provoke me to look to God, through Christ, to help me and carry me thro
ugh this world.

Amen.

---- John Bunyan
(from the Treasury of Daily Prayer.)


Hold my hand!


No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics