tucking them in over and over

The calm jar

I actually did this thing I found on Pinterest, and it worked out quite well.

Introducing: The Calm Jar



(To learn how to do this, click here.)

Shake the jar and watch the glitter slowly settle.  Not only is it shiney and pretty, but it is a great object lesson.

"Calm yourself down. When the jar is calm and you are calm you may get out of the corner."


Of course, this is not for a child throwing a temper tantrum. Giving a glass jar to that child = bad idea.  

I use this for those moments when boys-being-boys has resulted in too many injuries or tears; when someone just can't seem to control his body or tongue; when 'grief' over a broken toy or whatnot has gotten out of control.

They don't want to sit down with the glitter jar.  They might glare at me and whine about it. But then they show me what they would never admit: Little boys are attracted to sparkly, pretty things too.



oooh. aaaaah.

calm.

Like this? See Mom Tips You Can Use for more good and/or crazy ideas.