Tuesday, January 8, 2013

To be Perfectly Honest: A book review

To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie.To Be Perfectly Honest: One Man's Year of Almost Living Truthfully Could Change Your Life. No Lie. by Phil Callaway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book made me smile, think, cry, pray, and laugh. And yes, all these things go together, and we can do each one in its season, because of the grace which we are given in Jesus. This book underlines and amplifies this truth.


"I am a Christian because of God's grace. I find it in no other faith system. The Christian gospel is rather simply. I love the way Tim Keller puts it: 'I am so flawed that Jesus had to die for me, yet I am so loved and valued that Jesus was glad to die for me.' The result is that I neither swagger nor snivel; I live with thanksgiving, overwhelmed and overjoyed by grace." p 161

And indeed he does live this life in grace, yet he lives it in the real world. Join Phil as he journeys through a year of honesty, as he wrestles with Pac-man addiction, witnesses to a after-rapture pet care salesman and a crook, faces financial struggles and family struggles, and loses his mother.

Phil Callaway's book was an enjoyable read. It was hilarious, thought-provoking and inspirational.

I highly recommend it. 


View all my reviews on Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I love good book reviews! Have to check this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, I'm glad I found your blog sometime ago,I've had it bookmarked for awhile. What you write is meaningful and encouraging to others.I especially resonate with your struggle with depression, since I also struggle. Thanks for continuing to write and add inspiring content to the web. I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. If you’d like, you can go to my blog and claim your nomination. http://bit.ly/SidLJX
    Keep writing!
    ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics