Saturday, July 25, 2026

I am from...

I am from tomato plants and petunias

and drinking out of the hose

parakeets on the porch named after flowers

Lilac and Sweet William


I am from a chestnut tree I can still climb

with my eyes closed

in my child body

I am from the shadow of leaves on the pavement

and nightcrawlers caught for the bait box


I am from a two wheeler with a banana seat

riding to John Ball Zoo

running up the slide

feeding the ducks and skating on the pond


I am from the Sacred Heart of Jesus

who watched me from the wall near the drinking fountain

Faith, fear and uniforms

a rosary and a first communion dress


I am from the smell of bleach and coffee

ashtrays in the sink

beer cans and pop cans and deposit refunds

Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite 

Jump Man and a Commodore 64 


I am from the dance floor all to myself

chasing the light in circles and belting oldies

while mom cleaned the bar during the day

before dad opened it at night.


I am from holidays where everyone is talking and hugging

and eating and eating and eating

I am from the best cheesy potatoes 

& kielbasa that melts in your mouth.


I am from stars coming out slowly

framed by Northern Michigan trees

shoes melting on the rocks around the firepit

acoustic guitar, and dad’s song.

May be an image of child

No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics