Dave's invitation

 He gave me the warmest smile when he saw me on the dance floor

like he was proud of me for doing the electric slide

like he was glad I had accepted the invitation

--the invitation to fun, delight, and joy--

the one that he was constantly offering

with his trumpet and his jokes


I remember watching him

singing German hymns he didn’t really know, 

there in front of everyone,

getting the words wrong, laughing

“You don’t care if I make a mistake! Why should I?” 

and his wrinkly smile spread to all our faces


He walked through life with a grateful smile

as if he felt the very air he walked through as a gift,

surrounded by grace, and delighted;

he made me want to join him there


Sometimes he slept through my husband’s sermons;

the Word just echoed around him

and he rested inside of it

he was held by it


and I think he’s resting there now.


I will look for him hereafter

on God’s dance floor

and he will give me that smile again 

when I join him there.




In loving memory of my friend, Dave