Friday, April 17, 2020

poetry by Lorraine

The piano trills, mellifluously laughing
Music flows from my fingers
It saturates the air
Till music is spilling out the windows
My wife comes in holding a child
Dress circling her ankles as she dances
Age hasn’t touched her
She still looks so young
Since the day that I met her
That day I fell in love.

60 years later the piano still plays
And now I have a bigger audience
No one is dancing, but they do tap along
Their bodies too old and frail
“My Song Is Love Unknown” I perform
My wife’s favorite
She can barely sing along
Age has caught up with her
She can barely sing along
But she smiles while I play

My piano has gone silent
My heart won’t let me play
The joy I get from its melodious tune
No longer seems appropriate
My wife’s no longer with me
She’s in a better place
But without her, there’s no music
At least there’s not for me
Age finally got the best of her
And now it comes for me

My hands are weary
My heart is sore
Death is knocking at my door
I welcome him in, have a cup of tea
Close my eyes and he takes me
A piano is playing, it’s a song I wrote
Opening my eyes I find my wife
She’s laughing and dancing
She grabs my hand
Age has no place in the Promised Land

By Lorraine;
In loving memory of Don and Wilma

No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics