Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Fine, then.

Life as it is not as I would make it.
Fine then. 


Fine then, I’ll take it, this quarantine life
this stretch of time with open days
and no parties or meetings or games
and restless boys who don't want to give me space


fine then, I’ll take it
this confining life of rules and 
social distance
forced creativity 
and the desperate struggle to look up
and see the good and true and beautiful here
(it is still here)


What’s the alternative, but to keep hands closed like fist
heart balled up and angry
keeping it all out
tight heart, squeezing the air out


Fine then, i’ll take it,
this body that turns grief into hunger
anxiety into anger
fear into sleepiness
this mortal body that can be taken out
by a microbe


There’s not another body offered to me
this is my body
this is my life now
What choice do I have but to take it?


Fine then, Father
open these hands and help me receive
pry them open
to receive the LIFE today
this body
these days


fine then.
I’ll pout, a little
like a toddler with the wrong-colored sippy cup


Fine then, I’ll take it.


Open, soften me Jesus
turn “fine then”
into “yes, Lord”
and someday,

“thanks, Jesus.”


 Image may contain: plant, sky, flower, tree, outdoor and nature

Inspired by this poem
Instructions on not giving up


No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics