Sunday, September 14, 2014

My dear pastor-husband...


You stood in the pulpit today, tears streaming down your face, and implored us all to be church, to hope in God, to lean on Christ as we walk with Kristie through the valley of the shadow of death. Afterwards, I wanted to hug you, to tell you how proud I am of you, the way your heart and your tears and your grief hang out in public, and you make no apology, only point the rest of us with hearts and tears and grief to Jesus. But I couldn’t hug you because I’d never let go; my knees would grow weak with tears and you’d have to coddle me like you do at home. The church sanctuary is not the place for that, so I snuck out the side door, saying quiet prayers of thanksgiving for you, and for God’s continued mercy on us all.

This weekend- two funerals, a wedding, and sad news from every corner- how are you still standing?

You stand because our God lives and upholds you. I see no other explanation.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to the man you must share each and every day with the members in your church. You the real him and that is priceless. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, can totally relate...sometimes it's so hard to see how much they care for every member of their flock and how hard he strives to be there for all in need. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics