Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mama controller (chaos and contentment part 3)

Idleness is not what I seek when I work to feel “caught up.” If I had nothing at all on my schedule, I would put things there. We were made to use our hands and our gifts for others. But is it possible to do it without turning into an overwhelmed, angry, frantic crazy-mom?


What is it, exactly, that pushes us over the edge?



Well, it’s complicated. I’m sure you know this from trying to untangle your own heart.


I think the causes fall in two categories.
1. Exernal Struggles: Clutter, overscheduling, unruly kids, imperfect marriage, health problems, etc.
2. Internal Struggles: My attitude, focus, mental health, expectations, or sin


In other words
1. Things you might be able to control, or maybe not, but why not go down trying?
2. Things you cannot control without constant connection to God’s Word, His grace and help.


First we will discuss some things we might be able to control, or at least make a little bit better. There must be a way to minimize the cracker crumbs, and you’d think they could learn to stop falling off the chairs at the dinner table. Get yourselves under control, kids!


Control is at the heart of this, isn’t it? We don’t like when life spins out of control. We respond with anger, resentment, or (if it’s really bad) blank stares.


If only I were in control.


God’s in control, not you. So chill out already.”


Right. But who is going to plan the meals? God’s control does not relieve us of the responsibilities of our calling as mothers. Mothers, it IS our job to control what we can in our homes! This is our vocation! We are called by God to plan the meals and the schedules and the appointments and LIFE for the good of the family!


So. “Chill out already” is not the answer.


Do you want to do this, and do it better?
I will not call you a control freak. I call you a mother.
(We will talk about the freakier parts of control in a later post.)


What sorts of things in your life right now are you trying to tweak or change for the good of your family and your own sanity?


I’d love to hear from you!

Father, bless us as we seek to manage our homes and our families for the good of those in our care. Guide our hands and strengthen our spirits as we seek to love our little neighbors. Amen

ors. Amen



This is part 3 in a series on Chaos and Contentment

Part 1

Part 2

1 comment:

  1. When my husband accepted his current call, we found ourselves living a distance from the church, (no longer right next door) This meant, if I wanted him home for lunches, I was going to have to cook more often. He normally did about 90% of the cooking and enjoys it, but cannot take the time to drive home and back and cook in between. So far I am really enjoying it...well, for the most part. We're slowly working on controlling the chaos in some manner...if's an every day challenge.

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics