- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Quesadillas are one of our favorite lunches. So this week, I tried making tortillas at home with our fresh ground whole wheat flour. They were wonky, but they were wonderful.
![]() |
![]() |
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used King Arthur’s white
whole-wheat flour)
1/2 cup oil (she used avocado oil, I used olive oil)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (heat in the microwave for 1 min)
(See the full recipe here- follow hers!)
Also needed (in my opinion)
Good music playing in the kitchen
Shirtless boy helpers
an iPad for backup
(again, refer to this recipe for complete information)
I used my bread maker for mixing and it worked perfectly.
Then, I thought I was losing my mind. The instructions say the following:
Take out the dough and divide it into 12 equal sized pieces. I do this by making the dough into a big log shape that is about 8 – 10 inches long. Then I cut it in the middle. Then I cut each of those pieces in the middle and so on until you have 12 pieces.
Of course, that is impossible.
You can cut in halves to make 8, or 16, but not twelve. It is an unimportant detail, but I am telling you up front so that you do not question your sanity or math skills when it doesn't work out for you.
We stuck with 16 because it was easier.
Then one fell on the floor, so we had 15.
Next, roll each piece in a ball.
(Cute shirtless boys love to help with this step.)
Place on try and cover- letting set for 15 min to one hour per instructions.
This is a good time to do something wild with small children outside the kitchen. Spin them in circles in chairs, or dig a hole, or have them take turns riding the dog. Just make sure they wash their hands afterwards.
Next, heat your pans, roll your dough, and fry them up!
(see the real recipe for more precise instructions. By the way, I only needed to grease the pan once.)
In case you are wondering, I am not a meticulous person, and I also believe that perfect circles are over-rated. Yes, my tortillas look a little wonky. But if you make them wonky, then you get to use the word "wonky," and I like that word much better than I like perfect circles.
Perhaps you have family members who like things in order, cupboard doors closed, and circles perfect, like I do. If so, you will realize that this is another great opportunity to drive them crazy.
Make them wonky.
Flip, flip, done.
Flip, flip, done.
Flip, flip, done.
The boys were getting a little impatient. So it was time for the iPad.
They played while I finished. By that time, the smell was driving us all wild, so we had to taste one.
Approved!
Then we added cheese, which can only make things better.
Let me know if you try them out-
and take a picture of your wonky ones!
Did you make something wonky-looking recently?
Send me a picture of it,
and you just might win a free book!
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Grace frees me to be the child that I am and to ask my Father for help. -John Kleinig









