Monday, September 24, 2012

I have to take the medicine, too.

“Weak” is not a four-letter bad word. 
Hiding behind a mask of strength and responsibility 
is a lonely place to live. 

That mask portrays to the world around us 
that we have it all together, 
that we can handle the mess, 
that we don’t’ need people, or worse,
 that we don’t need God. 
Grace for the Good Girl, p. 85

And Jesus said,

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:29)
Seriously. Just. Come.

I am taking this to heart today, accepting help simply because I need it.  I prayed for help, and He sent help with skin on. And I took it.

It is unnatural, and so, the guilty feelings come.
It's almost like I am allergic to being the helped-one. Or maybe it's like exercise... painful at first, but the more you do it, the more you see that you need it and that it is good for you. 

At this point, this is just a theory.

My husband took the little boys to town just to give me extra peace today, just because I need it.
I could  have barreled on through, We would have survived a grumpy morning of taking care of them and counting the minutes until nap time... but he helped, and now my house is quiet, and I am breathing in.

God, replace my guilt with gratitude. Thank you for being a God who cares for the weak and the tired, and who invites us to rest.

Thank you for caring for me through my husband and friends today. Amen.

Read along with us! Join the Grace for the Good Girl Book Club.

1 comment:

  1. I too struggle with accepting help. But it's one of the ways God loves--through other people. So glad you got a break!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics