Tuesday, August 1, 2023

 my heart, in church <2wks from the wedding


Her little brother has his head in her lap, and she rubs his back

They’ve played house together for so long; 

and just as he’s outgrowing being little-brothered

she’s about to set up her own house, for real.


I stand next to her at the communion rail

feeling the acute reality of the season’s end

I lean towards her just a little; arm on arm

so i can feel the swiftly-passing closeness of her presence, 

just a little longer


Our Lord is with us. His hand on my shoulder, and His other on hers

He sees the grief of our parting; 

He sees the joys and the pains ahead;

He stands with us now, and He loves. 

“I’ll take care of her; I’ll be with her in this next part”

He says.


(To me or to her?

Both. )


May be an image of French lavender and scorpion grass

No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics