Saturday, February 27, 2021

nature investment

This boy loves to watch nature with me

He knows how to notice

To watch attentively

Marvel at behavior

Delight in quirks


I don't want this innocent delight to go away.

I see the clouds of adolescence coming.

I can’t hold off the stormy days

but I can feed his soul well in this season


In hopes that even if he forgets his love of birds and lizards

for a time

There will remain a sweet memory of it in his bones

That will resurface one day


Perhaps when he's grieving a loss alone by the waters edge

Or holding his own child on his hip, watching a cardinal


When he needs to remember how to wonder again

It will come back to him like a song he has always known

And he will notice, marvel, and delight




 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Web Analytics