Monday, July 1, 2013

Grease stains

Sometimes my stomach gets so full that the ears of heart cannot hear. 
No, it's not that they can't hear. They just don't care to hear.

And as I fill up on that which does not satisfy, my spirit withers.

Yet even bloated, I am not filled.
I thirst.

I thirst, and the thirst itself is grace.

Thirst draws me back to Him.
My lips are stained with Daquiri and Pepsi, my hands greasy from grasping for comfort in melted cheese.
I've been drinking from other wells, eating from strange tables, and it's making me sick.

Yet He is not afraid of grease stains on His robe.

Hear, ears. 

Hear what Jesus says to the thirsty.

“Come, all you who are thirsty,

    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
    and you will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
    listen, that you may live."
(Isaiah 55:1-3a)

Ears of my heart, receive the Word of the Lord, for in it there is life!  
Soul, feed on the food God provides for you!

Father,
Open my ears and my heart and my hands to receive what is good, and to let go of those things that are not beneficial.  Keep me from the errors of legalism and laziness.  Fill me with fresh delight in You and in your good gifts.  Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall declare your praise. 
In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:


Web Analytics