Wednesday, July 9, 2014

on being satisfied

Satisfaction:
This word has been on my mind lately. 

God forces me to let go of things that I think keep me happy, satisfied... and deep in the letting-go I find not deprivation but satisfaction, deeper and richer and sweeter than I expected.


“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”


― C.S. LewisThe Weight of Glory, and Other Addresses


Psalm 63:1-8
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;

    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
    beholding your power and glory. 
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
    my lips will praise you.
 
So I will bless you as long as I live;
    in your name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,

    and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,

when I remember you upon my bed,
    and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
 
for you have been my help,
    and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
 
My soul clings to you;
    your right hand upholds me.



We live under an OPEN heaven. 
Lord, open our hands to receive your mercies!

Psalm 145:14-19

The Lord upholds all who are falling

    and raises up all who are bowed down.
 
The eyes of all look to you,
    and you give them their food in due season.

You open your hand;
    you satisfy the desire of every living thing.

The Lord is righteous in all his ways
    and kind in all his works.
 
The Lord is near to all who call on him,
    to all who call on him in truth.

He fulfills the desire of those who fear him;
    he also hears their cry and saves them.




Father, increase our hunger for that which truly satisfies: for you.
Tend to us, uphold us, refresh us, and feed us Lord. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! Psalm 63 is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and Amen! I so appreciate how you use His word. Infinitely better than any of our own. And, that C.S. Lewis...one smart dude. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love C.S. Lewis! And love this post. So very encouraging, thank you! Here from Thee Angel Project - pleased to meet you! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and what an on time word! I needed that!

    ReplyDelete


Web Analytics